Wednesday 23 April 2014

23rd April 1814: The Duke of Montrose reassures Francis Raynes about the possibility of a reward

Two years after the height of the Luddite disturbances in the West Riding, Francis Raynes was still pursuing a reward for his services to the government. He was still with the Stirlingshire Militia, although he was apparently suffering from illnesses contracted whilst on military service in the middle east (fever - most likely malaria). Leave of absence being continually refused, he had taken up his case with the commanding officer of the militia, the Duke of Montrose:

London, 23d April, 1814.

SIR,

I received your letter, and spoke to Lord Sidmouth on the subject of your expectations. He assured me that he was as anxious about it, as if you were in a regiment that he commanded, or was more clearly connected with him, and that it should not escape his recollection. I really believe he means that something should be done for you; but I fear and believe he has difficulty in finding that something.—You may rest assured that I shall be glad to serve you, and to state your pretensions, though I cannot pledge myself for what Government will do, or when.

I remain, with esteem, Sir,
Your obedient Servant,
MONTROSE

This is from Raynes (1817, p.147).

No comments:

Post a Comment