Wednesday 16 January 2013

16th January 1813: Lt Colonel Lang informs General Acland about preparations for the funerals of Luddite at Huddersfield

Huddersfield Jany 16th 1813

Sir

I have to acknowledge the receipt of your Confidential letter of this morning and to acquaint you that I have ordered the Dragoon [illegible] to be doubled, to patrole a certain distance from the town of Huddersfield on the Leeds road during the night and to report accordingly. I have also persons in disguise ready to attend the bodies from hence to the place of interment.

As the dispatch was brought to Huddersfield by a return orderly & as you directed to be informed if he saw any unusual number of people on his way further I have thought right to send a Dragoon from hence to report that he did not observe more persons than usual in the road

I have [etc]
R Lang Lt Col
South Devon Militia

[To] Major General Acland
&c &c &c
Wakefield

This letter can be found at HO 40/2/3.

No comments:

Post a Comment