Sunday 13 January 2013

13th January 1813: Henry Hobhouse informs the Home Office that Judge Le Blanc has denied the condemned Luddites mercy

Private
& confidential

York
Jan. 13.

Dear Sir,

Mr. LeBlanc has communicated to Park that after a very attentive [illegible] of the Cases they can discover nothin sufficient Distinction to warrant any Mercy except in the single Instance mentd in my official Letter.

Not one of the Prisoners denied his Guilt, when called on to say whr he had any thing to urge agst the Sentence. Yet I understand that Blackburn the Atty is handg abt a Petition for Signatures stating their Innocence of those who are convicted for Cartwright’s Affair.

I have enough to do to employ me here till tomorrow, & moreover am extremely well to day. But I hope to see you on Saturday

Park means to call on you on Friday.

Yrs &c
H Hobhouse

[To] J Beckett Esq

This letter can be found at HO 42/132.

No comments:

Post a Comment