Monday 17 September 2012

17th September 1812: The Huddersfield solicitor, John Allison, reports the arrest of Thomas Green to the Home Secretary

My Lord

I have the honor to acquaint your Lordship by order of Mr. Ratcliffe our Magistrate that he has this Morning committed Thomas Green to York Castle for Burglary on the Information of Earl Parkin a Copy of whose Examination I had the honor to send to your Lordship yesterday, & I beg to observe that we can confirm Parkins Evidence out of the Mouth of two other Witnesses—

I lament that Norton the leader of the gang is not yet taken, though he has been seen looking about and is very strictly watched

I beg to acquaint your Lordhsip that I gave Mr. Lloyd the Examinations against old Baines & the 5. others for Administering unlawful Oath & assisting therein, & he promised to transmit copies to your Lordship.

I have [etc]
Jno. Allison
Huddersfield 17 Septr ‘12

[To] Rt Honble Lord Sidmouth &c. &c.

This letter can be found at HO 42/127.

No comments:

Post a Comment