Thursday 19 April 2012

19th April 1812: Ralph Wright of Flixton informs the Home Office of rumours of a rising on 1st May

Flixton House, the home of Ralph Wright, today. (copyright Tom Jeffs. Creative Commons Licence)
Sir

My Dwelling House is situate in a remote Neighbourhood seven miles from Manchester

Information has this Day been given to me, by those on whose veracity I can depend, that the great and general rising of the People, is fixed for Friday the 1:st of May next;

Persons go about to administer an Oath verbally, to all who are inclined to take it, without previous explanation, and have a Salary of fourteen shillings a Week for their trouble. it is said the number of Persons swore in, is enormous, and the oath diabolic with extreme

The privacy with which these measures are carried on, have hitherto baffled all our attempts at detection, and the Parties appear to me, to be every where, quite steadfast to each other. having no chance whatever to communicate with my Brother Magistrates this Evening, I have thought it my duty to give you this information without loss of time.

I have the Honor to be
Yr. most obedient and faithful
Humble Servant

Ralph Wright

Sunday Evening
Flixton, near Manchester
19. April 1812

The Right Honble R. Ryder

This letter can be found at HO 42122.

No comments:

Post a Comment