Wednesday 30 November 2011

30th November 1811: Duke of Newcastle to Home Office

Clumber
November, 30 1811

Sir,

I think it proper to enclose you copies of two letters which I have just received by express from Nottingham.

By them you will perceive that the riots in this county become more serious as they appear to be more systematic.

As you will perceive I am now called upon to assemble the whole of the Volunteer Cavalry of this County. I have in consequence, (in the first instance) complied with it only in part, and I have ordered out the Bunny and Holme Pierepont Troops of Yeo. Cavalry only and these I have selected as being the nearest to Nottingham, whereby they may be less inconvenienced than if they were brought from a distance.

I shall go to Nottingham tomorrow and gain every information I can on the spot respecting this most unfortunate business: if I then find it necessary I shall order out all the Volunteer Cavalry to endeavour at once to put a stop to further proceedings - which I most earnestly hope may be effected.

I have [etc.]

NEWCASTLE
The letter is at HO 42/117.

No comments:

Post a Comment